Lough Mask Mayo 2009

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Everything is Going to Be All Right


How should I not be glad to contemplate
the clouds clearing beyond the dormer window
and a high tide reflected on the ceiling?
There will be dying, there will be dying,
but there is no need to go into that.
The lines flow from the hand unbidden
and the hidden source is the watchful heart.
The sun rises in spite of everything
and the far cities are beautiful and bright.
I lie here in a riot of sunlight
watching the day break and the clouds flying.
Everything is going to be all right.
Derek Mahon
Painting by David Tress

I love this poem - it speaks to me of hope and a sense of adventure and the importance of being in the moment in all its complexity. It doesn't deny pain or sadness. Ifind myself thinking of different lines at different times.
I love

The far cities are beautiful and bright
Poetry connects us to what is deepest in ourselves. It gives us access to our own feelings, which are often shadowy, and engages us in the art of making meaning. It widens the space of our inner lives, It is a magical, mysterious inexplicable (though not incomprehensible event)in language.

Edward Hirsch

I think we need to make meaning and that we can find fulfilment when we attend to the 'watchful heart' and make space for our inner lives. I am not sure how much space I give to my inner world. I am pretty sure it is not enough and that I suffer the consequences. Even a few moments of contemplation or 'attending to self' can make a difference.

Do you have poems or lines that give you hope or comfort or inspire or lift you?
Would you consider sharing them?

No comments: